FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"The Path to Peace and Joy"

By:Richard G. Scott

There is an essential aspect of the plan of happiness of our Father in Heaven that is often ignored even though it invariably yields peace and joy. The Savior gave His life that it might be used to bless every child of Father in Heaven. This subject is widely misunderstood and often feared. Some feel that it is to be employed only by those in serious transgression, while the Lord intended that it be consistently used by every one of His children. He has repeatedly commanded His prophets and leaders to proclaim it and to speak of little else. I refer to the blessing of true, sincere, continuing repentance, the path to peace and joy. It is a conduit to the reforming power of the Lord and, when understood and used, a dear and precious friend.

Repentance is not optional. An angel commanded Adam to “repent and call upon God in the name of the Son forevermore.” Each one of us is commanded to both repent and to call upon God continually throughout life. That pattern allows each day to be an unspoiled page in the book of life, a new, fresh opportunity. We are given the rejuvenating privilege of overcoming mistakes of commission or omission, be they small or profoundly serious. Full repentance results in forgiveness with spiritual renewal. One can feel the cleansing, the purity, the freshness that accompanies sincere repentance at any time in life.

The Savior has made the requirement clear: “I command you to repent, and keep the commandments … lest I humble you with my almighty power.”

It is our Master and His redeeming act that make it possible for us to avoid such condemnation. It is done through faith in Jesus Christ, obedience to His commandments, and enduring in righteousness to the end.

Are you taking full advantage of the redeeming power of repentance in your life so that you can have greater peace and joy? Feelings of turmoil and despondency often signal a need for repentance. Also the lack of the spiritual direction you seek in your life could result from broken laws. If needed, full repentance will put your life together. It will solve all of the complex spiritual pains that come from transgression. But in this life it cannot remedy some of the physical consequences that can occur from serious sin. Be wise and consistently live well within the boundaries of righteousness defined by the Lord.

There are several vital steps to repentance. Each is essential for complete forgiveness. President Joseph F. Smith identified some of these steps this way: “True repentance is not only sorrow for sins, and humble penitence and contrition before God, but it involves the necessity of turning away from them, a discontinuance of all evil practices … a thorough reformation of life, a vital change from evil to good … to make restitution, so far as … possible, for all the wrongs we have done. … This is true repentance, and the exercise of the will and all the powers of the body and mind is demanded, to complete this glorious work of repentance.”

To the vital steps of recognition, sorrow, abandonment, confession, and restitution where possible, it is also essential to add the requirement to diligently keep all of the commandments of God. For the Lord has declared: “I the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance;

“Nevertheless, he that repents and does the commandments of the Lord shall be forgiven."

Great reinforcement and a sustaining power to succeed come when there is a determination to keep all of the commandments. The Lord expects a lifelong commitment to obey the plan of happiness, including continuing repentance as needed. He has said, “He only is saved who endureth unto the end."

--I had an experience last night that made me see life differently. I learned that I CAN be happy, but it's all my choice. I will only get out what I put in... When i heard that i thought to myself, "Do i put in everything I have, and give my all?" To be honest, I don't think I have been. To see and talk to someone who's going through the same thing you are, and hear them out through their trial... gave me an eye opener in a big way. I can't keep putting pitty on myself, I need to keep being myself and my true self. I also learned that people come and go in our lives. Nobody comes into your life and leaves with out making an impact on you some how, whether its for the better or for the worse. The memories and feelings stay, you'll always remember them and this is one I'll always remember, because it's changing me into the person i want to be and now know that i can become... thanks to a friend who helped ME realize that.. whether HE realized it or not at the moment. -- We all make mistakes and have to deal with the consequences ourselves, but not all by ourselves. I read this article today and it touched me. I felt that I can have peace and joy in my life again. But i cannot do it alone. If im living my life without the spirit to help me, then i don't want it. So in order to keep the spirit with me, I have to do this for myself. Enduring to the end has never meant so much to me as it does now. When this is all done and over with i can look back and see how much i will have changed and be able to feel happiness again. We were not given the atonement to do nothing with it. Its a gift to all of us, a tool to become the best we can be and overcome and be forgiven of our sins. And what an amazing gift that is.

2 comments:

  1. Kylee, You are amazing and I LOVE YOU!!! I am so proud of your progress and so happy that you know that everything can and WILL work out ok with the help of the Savior! Keep it up! ;) Love you!
    Mwah!
    Kaz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok first of all! Are you trying to make me feel guilty?!?! Second of all Kylee good for you! I am so happy that you are taking a potentially bad and depressing situation and making it for the better! That is such a good attitude to have and that is one of the only ways to deal with life! I love you Kylee! If you ever need to talk I'm just a phone call and short drive away!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment at the beep... BEEP!!